Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tough Books to Review

The most difficult books for me to review or to simply read to provide better readers' advisory for patrons are the 1st-3rd grade books. Board books are easy for me- are the pictures bright and bold and clear? Is the text simple? Picture books are easy for me- Is it funny? Touching? Are the illustrations beautiful? Easy Reader books are easy for me- Is the text in larger print with many sight words? Fiction for 4th grade and up is easy for me- Were the characters well developed and the action great? Was it moving? Funny? Touching? Sad? Could I wait to see what happened? Do I want to read the next one?


All these things are easy for me to relate to when I read these books. Just because I am a librarian does not mean I am a literary expert by any means. The way I appreciate books and share my appreciation for books with patrons is on a very simple, personal level. Does it grab me in some way?


But the books that are written for the 1st-3rd grade group are the most difficult. Characters aren't well developed, the plot is over-simplified and often, silly, and, naturally, there just isn't much meat to them. It's been too long since I was that age to put myself in that child's shoes and determine if they would think this was a great book. I need to hang around more kids this age and get their opinions! :)



So, with that being said, I have recently read two new books. The first is Mrs. Noodlejugel by Daniel Pinkwater. This story is about a jolly little lady who lives in house within a circle of high-rises. Siblings Maxine and Nick discover the house and are determined to find out who lives there. Mike the janitor tells them that buildings grew up around the house—which is owned by nice, old Mrs. Noodlekugel—and that you can get there through the boiler room. Their father orders them not to go near the house. But of course they do, and soon the kids are having gingerbread cookies and tea with Mrs. Noodlekugel—and her cat, the piano-playing Mr. Fuzzface; and the mice, who serve as cookie cutters; and the gingerbread mice who seem to have a life of their own.

And now, you have basically read the book! Simple, short and sweet. I do believe the cover art will be enticing for children because it is whimsical and inviting. This story is silly for sure and I think children will enjoy this story. I just wish I could be around when they discuss it!


The next book is Hooey Higgins and the Shark by Steve Voake. I definitely thinks this book- the cover and the story will appeal to some young boys. The author is from the UK, so there are a lot of British terms- pounds, cricket, etc. Now, with the success of Harry Potter, I am not sure if this will be an issue at all. But above that, I think this is great example of an UK export that doesn't quite translate well because the difference in our style of humor.


But, like I stated before, I just say it like I see it, but that doesn't mean that next reader might have a completely different opinion! That's why I love libraries- a reader for every book and a book for every reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment