Monday, August 20, 2012

Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact by A.J. Hartley

Eleven-year-old Darwen Arkwright discovers another world through the old mirror hanging in his closet--a world that holds as many dangers as it does wonders.

This was a good fantasy adventure book that I would put in the hands of boys. Darwen is living in Atlanta with his aunt. He was raised in England. He feels out of place and different- not only the way he talks, but he is also biracial. His aunt sends him to this private military school and it just keeps getting worse for him.

He meets a strange shop owner who gives him a mirror and after sunset, he is able to go through the mirror into another world.

I enjoyed the book and wanted to find out what was happening and why. Some parts were distracting-like how his "differences" actually solicited very nasty behavior from both other students and teachers at this school.  I just wanted to find out about the other world and why it was there.

I believe there will be a sequel and although I liked this book, I think I will pass on the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment