Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen

This first book in a planned trilogy is action-oriented fantasy, but don’t expect magical creatures. Instead, it revolves around political intrigue. Sage is a street-savvy orphan, and along with two other boys he is recruited by Conner, a nobleman who wants to remake them in the image of their country’s lost prince, a victim of pirates and presumed dead. The task is urgent, as the rest of the royal family has been murdered and civil war seems imminent. As the boys, chosen for their passing resemblance to Prince Jaron, compete to assume a new identity and the throne, Sage discovers some unpleasant truths about their host, beyond his treasonous plans to pass one of them off as royalty. Sage is a likable hero full of smart-alecky snarkiness.

Well, it was the smart-alecky snarkiness that was beginning to bother me because it was relentless. But, then there was a big twist and turn and the story got really interesting for me! I then  raced through the last quarter of the book. It definitely was a surprise to me and ended well.

I liked the story. I like stories set in the times of 'kingdoms' with swords and duty and honor, etc. I have enjoyed similar stories like Avi's Crispin: The Cross of Lead, John Flanagan's The Ranger's Apprentice, Graceling by Kristin Cashore, Mistwood by Leah Cypress, etc. So, when I started reading this I began to like it, but Sage's constant snarkiness began to take its toll. It seemed to be over-the-top, but then there was a surprise and it all made more sense.

This is the first book in the trilogy and I do believe I will take the time to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment