Thursday, February 17, 2011

Newbery Medal Winner 2011

Moon Over Manifest by Claire Vanderpool won the Newbery Medal, awarded to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.

I am going to start off by stating the obvious-I am not a literary critic. I can't say to you this book deserved to win out of the thousands of books written last year. I just believe a book is good when I feel invested in the characters and I want to keep reading to find out what happens to them. To me, that is a good book. Whether it makes me laugh or cry, I start to imagine the characters and the setting  in my mind and to 'see them'. (that's why I never like movies that are made from books- because it never matches my own imagination!)


This book is beautifully written. I loved it. I enjoy historical fiction and the descriptions and voices of the characters really brought the time period alive for me. I loved all the different types of characters and the struggle they lived through. I enjoyed the mystery and how everything weaved together in this perfect, well-written story. And, yes, I cried.

Although I think the cover will lure more girls than boys, it's a great book for both. There are two different stories being told that tie together at the end and in one story it's about the adventures of two boys and the other it's the adventures of one girl and her two friends.

As I sit back and reflect on all the books that I read last year, I must admit that I thought this was the best one.

No comments:

Post a Comment