Monday, March 14, 2011

Grounded

Grounded, by Kate Klise, is a sad book. I really don't do sad. The first page begins by sharing that Daralynn's brother, her little sister and her dad died in a plane crash. It was enough for me to put the book down. I really don't like to read depressing books. So, this was tough.

It would be difficult for me to suggest this to a child. Yet, in all fairness, I did finish the book and thought it really could lead to a lot of great discussions in a group or classroom. The title, Grounded, has many meanings in the story. This story is set in the early 1970s in Missouri. How Daralynn's mother grieves and deals with loss is difficult to endure, but there are a number of side characters that help make the story more palatable. All in all, not my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment