Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Ashfall by Mike Mullin

As I posted earlier, even though this blog is mainly for patrons with 1st-8th graders, I do read a lot of YA books. I have decided to post them here in case someone old enough is reading the posts and for a record of the books I have read for me. Sometimes I forget what books I have read or what they were about!

This book is definitely a older YA book! The supervolcano beneath Yellowstone Park has erupted and without electricity, food, water, etc...the very worst of human nature manifests itself in this gripping, violent, dystopian YA novel.

I enjoy dystopian novels a lot. A lot of them are very violent and you see a very realistic glimpse of what human beings are capable of when they are starving and there is no order or civilization to speak of really. A lot of them aren't as disturbing for me because they still seem like fiction. But this one was so more realistic because it is set in contemporary time and seems believable! Another interesting thing about this dystopian novel is that it is written from the male point of view. Like Ship Breaker and Chaos Walking...this would be a great read for older boys- I would say definitely high school!

No comments:

Post a Comment