Saturday, March 31, 2012

Hunger Games Movie and Controversy

First of all, I would like to say that the Hunger Games Trilogy is a YA book. The content is appropriate for older readers. There is a great deal of violence and other mature topics not meant for younger readers.

If you are interested in a great series for 4th-8th grade, I would suggest Suzanne Collin's first series, The Underland Chronicles. Written by the same author as the Hunger Games Trilogy, the content is more appropriate for 4th graders and up and most important, it is awesome!

The Underland Chronicles is one of my favorite fantasy series! Gregor is a 11 yr. old boy living in New York City. His little sister, Boots, falls in a duct in the laundry room and Gregor jumps in after her. They end up in a world that is underneath New York with another human race, rats, mice, bats, cockroaches that all talk! They think Gregor is the person come to fulfill a prophecy that will save their world!

There are 5 books in this series. Loved it!

Ok, so back to the Hunger Games movie. I loved the trilogy. It was fantastic and I have read it twice and will be rereading it again since I saw the movie. The movie in no way compares to the book. I found the movie slow, the acting poor and the camera work very irritating. The feelings and emotions that the book evoke and the connection to the characters were not present in the movie for me. The books made me root for Katniss, cry for Rue, become angry with the Capitol and President Snow, laugh with Cinna, Hyamitch and the rest of that gang and more. The movie made me yawn.The movie pales in comparison to the book as with every book I have ever read. The meat of the book was missing completely for me. I know that the buzz out there was it was great, but I am giving it a thumbs down! But, of course, this is only my opinion, but a movie will never compare to what a wonderful book and your imagination can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment